Monday, January 25, 2010

Book review: Middleware Management with Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control 10g R5

In December last year the publisher of IT books Packt Publishing contacted me to ask me if I was willing to read their newly released book about Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control:

Middleware Management with Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control 10g R5

They've selected me based on the contents of my blog.

The book is well structured and written in a clear language. The book starts with explaining the main features of Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control and how they address common administration tasks and make the life of a system administrator easier. The book continues with defining and describing the main components of Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control and how they work together to enable Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Controll to fulfill its tasks. In the subsequent chapters the book covers the main Oracle middleware components and explains how they can be managed with Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control. The following components caught my specific attention:

  • Oracle BPEL Process Managers
  • Oracle Service Bus
  • Oracle Weblogic Server
  • Oracle Coherence

Each chapter contains detailed information about how to configure and use specific Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control features, like notification management, automatic provisioning and managing configuration inconsistencies. Additionaly the book cover topics like CAMM, AD4J and how to write your own monitoring plug-in.The book concludes with a best practice chapter.

To be honest, system administration is not my main focus area. I'm more on the software development side..Therefore my main intention to read this book (Oh..I agreed to review this book..) was to learn more about the concepts, capabilities and benefits of using Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control to manage the Middleware layer to broaden my view on middleware management (the area in which I mainly develop software). After reading the book, I can only conclude that this book really has helped me to understand the the true capabilities and benefits of Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control and how it can be used to manage Oracle Middleware components. This book is really a good starting point for everyone who wants to learn more about Middleware Management with Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control

You can find more info about the book and how to order it on the book's homepage

No comments: